Sunday, March 4, 2012

The End of February

It's been a crazy week.  I moved out of my crappy apartment and into a much nicer one.  Quality of life is so much better up here.  Bigger apartment, better facilities, better neighborhood, closer to friends.  The new apartment still looks like a hoarder's paradise, but things should look normal after a couple of boxes get unpacked.  I took this shot a few days ago.  It looks about the same right now.

The main thing I don't like about the new apartment is that it's so far from downtown Austin.  I didn't do it often (because I didn't really have the money), but every once in a while I'd look up a random concert and hang out and enjoy live music for a while.  If I got tired, I could be home in five minutes.  I discovered amazing bands like Les RAV and The Baker Family by doing this.  Now it'll be a little bit trickier if I want to enjoy Austin like that again.  But I guess it's a fair trade for overall happiness and comfort.

Anyways, with the move, I've been getting a slew of health problems.  Before I even started packing, my upper back freaked the hell out.  I don't like taking medicine when I don't have to, even if it's just an aspirin, but I've been downing pain killers like crazy.  My back has never been in so much pain.

I slept on the floor without a mattress or pillow and like a charm the pain went away, but it was replaced with the worst hives I've ever seen in my life.  If you know me, or if you follow me on Twitter, you know that I complain about hives incessantly.  These new hives are bigger, itchier, and more aggressive than my usual hives.  And I've been getting them every day.  When it's at its worst, I can feel it everywhere, including my ears and eyelids.  It usually starts appearing when I'm about to go to sleep, and it comes in full force when I wake up.  Here's some before and after pics.  (Warning: It's pretty fucking disgusting.)

I've been able to control the hives with temperature adjustments and an antihistamine cocktail.  Blasting the heater helps, and a hot bath really helps.  Granted, it usually takes one to two hours for them to fade away, but it's better than sitting around and writhing in pain all day.  I think I finally got the mix and timing of drugs just right, because today was the first day I woke up without the hives.  I found a couple of random tiny dots, but nothing significant.

I'm not sure of the exact cause of these hives, but it may have something to do with the cold, my diet, and stress.  The temperature was so nice two weeks ago, and now it's so cold and miserable.  Cold weather was the main cause of my hives years ago, so I'm sure it has something to do with it today.  Lately, I've been eating pretty poorly, surviving off of cereal and a Subway sandwich a day.  Now that I'm finally settled in, I've made a conscious effort to eat better and to get my immune system back up to speed.  And my stress levels have been through the roof.  The excitement from moving, the Les RAV contest, and the anticipation of GDC may have put my adrenaline into overdrive and left it there.

I've also developed a tic.  I can't stop twitching my nose.  And I can't remember the last time I had one.  I think I'm just completely stressed out.  I just gotta relax, stay warm, and keep taking these pills.  I think I'll be okay.


  1. Thanks for following my blog. I've heard that getting a lot of sleep helps with facial tics. Oversleep for two nights and chart the results. Good luck.

  2. Hey thanks. I've slept an inhuman amount this month. The tics are still there, but they're kinda controllable now.